Musashi quote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musashi quote

To me this means, amongst other things, there's no need to rush. Appreciate the here and now and experience the 'journey', rather than rushing towards the 'destination'.

Comment

Take time to learn and appreciate what you have been taught in life.

Comment

Comment

What I think this quote means is not to rush in life and enjoy what you have got and live life in the 'present'. Very thought provoking for sure.

Comment

Ensure that you focus on quality as well.

In martial arts i have been taught that if you only focus on speed you will never become truly fast, if you focus on understanding and performing effective technique, speed will then happen when the technique is natural. what's the point of being fast if you cause nothing more than a paper cut?

In terms of life, take time to consider the value activities will add to your life and reflect on your achievements, what's the point of performing lots of tasks quickly if it doesn't achieve anything meaningful?

Comment

• chriscrudelli
              chriscrudelli commented
              Editing a comment
              Deep and meaningful

"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" Wyatt Earp.
            Slow down and consider accuracy, this is relevant in kicking, striking, shooting, weaponry work, even conversation.

Comment

Comment

I have a number of thoughts on this Sifu.

To live in the moment, not to be concerned with what lies ahead or what has just recently passed.

To appreciate and savour the journey, rather than be concerned with the destination.

To ensure that your time is spent wisely, you will never get your time back once you have spent it. Why wish to spend it as quickly as possible?

Comment

• chriscrudelli
              chriscrudelli commented
              Editing a comment
              Bruce had a few things to say on that matter too

I think this quote, like many great philosophical quotes, is vague enough that it can be applied to many situations and can be adapted to mean what you need it to at the time.

Originally posted by chriscrudelli View Post
            but what does this mean today to you?
            I think this question is more important because it frames the quote not just in the context of "what does this quote mean in modern times" or "what does this mean in my martial training" but "what does this mean to me at this very moment", which I think is both poignant and deliberate.

As I write this we are going through what is probably one of the great global tragedies of our time. When faced with something this large that we're powerless against it's easy to get lost. We can spend too much time focusing on the future and "when will this end" which can result in us starting to feel like we're drowning in a sea of the unknown. We think about how this could go on not just for a few more weeks, but a few months or years even. We think about how we won't get to see our friends or family or partners and loved ones, nor do any of the other things that we love. We start to think more about all of the things we're missing out on, and the months or years of our lives that are being stolen from us. We focus on how it's Just Not Fair. We're speeding up our lives by looking too far ahead.

I think in the context of today this quote means two things to us: The first is that we need to stop focusing on the long term and the things that we're missing out on. If you're drowning you don't think about what's going to happen to you on the way to the hospital after you're rescued, and you don't think about how you'd sooner be back on the boat sailing and enjoying the sun with your friends. When you're drowning you need to focus on just the next two seconds: Keep swimming.

The second meaning of the quote applies to all tragedies that befall us in our lives. We tend to focus on the negative and the unjust nature of whatever ill has befallen us, often asking "when will this end" and when we do that it's easy to lose sight of the value and beauty that's present in just living. It's a slippery slope that's easy to fall down and end up in a pattern of negative thoughts and behaviour. When you do this you start to miss the parts of life that are actually living. Instead, you have to keep your eyes open for the little opportunities. Look for the redemptive elements of being alive right now to sort of pop themselves up so you can recognise, appreciate, and enjoy them in-the-moment when they do.

In this time of tragedy, it would be easy for me to focus on the new relationship I've started, and how unfair it is that we're unable to see each other and have no idea when the next time we'll meet is. Instead, I will be content just that I get to know her. I'll continue to focus on the fact that tonight I had a good steak for dinner. Tomorrow I have a freshly roasted bag of coffee beans for my morning coffee, and after work I'll have a virtual date over Skype. I am looking forward to both. I won't be trying to second guess when this will end or plan what I'll do when it does, nor will I worry about what I'll be doing in 3 weeks or 3 months if it hasn't ended by then, because that's just too overwhelming right now and I will end up missing the little things that could make me happy in the moment.

It's taken me an hour to write this now, so that's probably enough. I'll end by trying to rephrase it in terms of a more modern saying: You should stop and smell the roses.

Comment

• chriscrudelli
              chriscrudelli commented
              Editing a comment
              One of the best and most insightful comments I have read on this forum. Thanks! Also well done for understanding the nuance of the question.

Embrace every day with what you have,as another day they maybe nothing to embrace

Comment

To rest can be as important as training. With proper rest growth can take place. Constantly attacking practice and training with no rest can be futile.

Comment

Morning Sifu,
              This is a Question I contemplate on a monthly basis, every month I review my business on all fronts to see were I can buy myself some time back..!
              Have been guilty in the past of pushing to much & burning out.
              By reassessing Work life balance, learning to say no over the years have now found more time in my days.
              Not only for Kung Fu Training but for family time also space and quiet time for myself.
              I find all this effort slows the Hamster wheel down just a little bit.
              Excellent Question.

Rich??

Comment

• chriscrudelli
                chriscrudelli commented
                Editing a comment
                The Hamster wheel... brilliant ... going nowhere fast right

It means to me, Don't waste the time I have.

Meaning that I often spend my time and thoughts looking to the future. Whether it's months or minutes. Thinking of things I need to or may not get done in a day which creates anxiety, something I can often indulge in which means I'm not in the moment I'm almost wishing away my time and speeding things up. A Bruce Lee quote I find helpful is: if you love life don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of. For me that relates to this important Musashi quote.

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X