Places that have had a big impact on your martial arts journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Places that have had a big impact on your martial arts journey

Where have you been that has had a massive impact on your martial arts training? If you have been to many places, which one stands out the most? How did it have an impact and is it still worth visiting now?

The first time i trained overseas in Barcelona.

It wasn't the actual place that mattered.

It helped show me the power of martial arts, i was amongst people who i couldn't communicate to verbally yet could still train around and enjoy the feeling in the dojo. Also i still managed to help teach and lead one of their beginners through body movement alone.

I would definitely recommend having the experience of training in this environment and will be doing it myself again this year.

Comment

Were they adults or children? The students will have had your full attention and watching your every move to enable this to run smoothly brilliant! What an experience!

Comment

• Ljgale
        Ljgale commented
        Editing a comment
        All adults.

I'd love to take the credit but i wasn't the person leading the seminar. The Doshu of the British ki society runs about 100 clubs in total which includes both the uk and several countries in Europe. This means its a softer in to overseas training. This seminar was being held in English then translated into Spanish however a lot of the work is in pairs. In the pair work we don't have translators.

It was however a deeper connection than him watching and copying me as it was during grabbling techniques so whether he was attacking me or him me i was trying to help guide him through feel of how my body was moving.

When you are teaching deaf people, do you use anything like this to?

yes but learning BSL is a big help ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
        Where have you been that has had a massive impact on your martial arts training? If you have been to many places, which one stands out the most? How did it have an impact and is it still worth visiting now?
        I have found there to be a benefit to visiting as many as you can, as they all have so much to offer.
        Not just the training, but experiencing the different cultures as well.

Also when you have practiced an art for a long time, it is an amazing experience to go and train t it's place of Origin.
        For me anyway ?

Comment

I have trained many times at the Shaolin Temple. During the day it is a hot spot for tourists and so commercial. However, there is something very special about this place at 6am when the monks are about, people are training at the foot of the Song Shan Mountains and not a tourist in sight.

Comment

Is this the Northern Temple Mr Mccarthy?

Comment

• Neilmccarthy
              Neilmccarthy commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, Mr. Drake - Sits at the foot of the mountains in Shaolin itself just outside Deng Feng.

Sounds amazing there. I have seen photos of the Northern Temple. But have never been there

Comment

Working...
            X