Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving accuracy and power of kicks

Hi all,

I'm from an Aikido and non kicking background.

I've recently started kung fu where I now need to become decent at kicking.

Any tips on how you started improving your balance, accuracy and power in kicking please? Currently predominantly working on the basics of straight, side and roundhouse kicks.

Originally posted by Ljgale View Post
    Hi all,

I'm from an Aikido and non kicking background.

I've recently started kung fu where I now need to become decent at kicking.

Any tips on how you started improving your balance, accuracy and power in kicking please? Currently predominantly working on the basics of straight, side and roundhouse kicks.
    Stretching daily and horse stance... then more horse stance

Comment

• Ljgale
      Ljgale commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Sifu.

I had a knee operation 2 years ago. Am training normally now but am mindful of any new conditioning work.

Horse stance is new to me, if done correctly does it put a lot of pressure through the knee joints? If not, how do i build this exercise up correctly please?

Linda. If you break it down to a basic level. It all comes down to two things. Length and strength. Basically powerful flexible muscles will allow you to perform the things you want to perform with relative ease.

I say this coming from a kicking background, up to a few years ago when I had an hip injury.

So lots of stretching and compound exercises in the beginning will give you better control and allow less fatigue when training. So basically what Sifu says lol.

Then if you want to be better at kicking, guess what? Yup. You have to kick. Surprisingly enough!

Also practice standing on one leg with your other knee up. Thigh parallel to floor. This works balance. Then slowly extending your leg and holding for a few seconds. This works muscular strength.(and ultimately endurance)

For accuracy you will need a target. That you can aim for.

It helps to have a partner that can hold say two focus mitts at different heights/angles.

To be honest if you're flexible and your legs are strong then accuracy is actually not that hard. Nothing is that hard if the body is suitably prepared/trained for the task at hand. As you will have the right muscle groups working in the right way to enable you to complete a task. (Much the same as walking is quite easy as we do it all the time. Whereas running is harder as we do it less frequently. However if we ran everyday, running is then easier)

So if you stretch regularly, do resistance exercise regularly and actually kick regularly then you'll get much better at kicking.

Hope that helps?

If all else fails... ? stance. Stretch. More ? stance (as Sifu says)

Comment

• Ljgale
      Ljgale commented
      Editing a comment
      Amazing response and very useful, thank you!

• chriscrudelli
      chriscrudelli commented
      Editing a comment
      Wait... you are not running every day?

When you get the point of you wanting speed and power to
    your kicks get your self a pair of ankle weights kick with them for 20
    mins every day

Comment

• Ljgale
      Ljgale commented
      Editing a comment
      Great tip, thank you.

Great point! Joel won the UK MAI Thor Hammer strength competition last year beating the merest competitors by a whole 2 mins.... listen to his advice

Comment

Hi linda

break the kicks down into stages. ie with the front kick for instance, start with lifting the knee then extend the lower leg hold, bring lower leg back in with knee raised still then down and repeat the four stages. This will improve basic form and balance. Power will come later so will speed.
      hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Osensei View Post
        Hi linda

break the kicks down into stages. ie with the front kick for instance, start with lifting the knee then extend the lower leg hold, bring lower leg back in with knee raised still then down and repeat the four stages. This will improve basic form and balance. Power will come later so will speed.
        hope this helps.
        Yes definitely. Establish good habits first, be mindful of the knee and foot position during all phases of the kick (applies to all types of kick). Use a mirror if you don't have an instructor to guide you.
        Generally the beginning and end of the technique is more important, good grounding, good position, etc.
        Finally, kick with your hands, punch with your feet!

Comment

Need Chris Jones on this post!

Comment

• chriscrudelli
          chriscrudelli commented
          Editing a comment
          I called him last night.

Comment

• Paul J
          Paul J commented
          Editing a comment
          The young man in the foreground exhibits good knee and foot position during the first phase of the front kick! ?

That's very helpful, thank you all

Comment

Hi Linda

??????I can see there has been quite a bit of great advice on here already for your question.
          Understanding the mechanics of the kick is important. How the leg should be chambered, correct foot position, how much pivot on the supporting leg etc.

The kicks can be broken down Into stages as was mentioned in a previous comment.
          Work the chamber and pivot on its own, then full kick etc.
          Don't worry how low you are kicking at first because you need that full extension on the kicks when using them and the best way to build that muscle memory is to start low and work your way up.

You can use a wall to help to strengthen the legs and work correct technique.
          So you could hold your leg out straight for 30 seconds, then pulse it up and down for 30 seconds while still held out, then 30 seconds of the kick itself.
          That would be one set. You can do 5 to ten sets for each leg. Time dependant of course, because it does take time.

Consistency is key here, a little and often is better than long breaks in between. Don't train your kicks every day though at first because it is tiring on those muscles and we need to use our legs every day moving around.

Another drill to try is to hold out say a sidekick and have your partner hit the leg with a focus pad from different angles, this helps build the ability to hold the leg in place with uneven footing.

Also target kicks at different heights and angles.
          Flexibility comes with practice and speed comes with time also.
          If you can do a kick well slow, then you know you cando the kick fast when you are relaxed.
          Building the core also helps because it helps with stability and power in the techniques.

There are loads of other drills that can be done, but I would advise some of these once you are comfortable and used to each of the kicks.

I hope this helps ?

Comment

• Ljgale
            Ljgale commented
            Editing a comment
            Very helpful and some great ideas thank you

• chriscrudelli
            chriscrudelli commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for this comprehensive advice, keep in mind Mark Drake trainee in North Korea twice , and with me at the Southern Shaolin temple in China

Hi Linda

I'm not a big kicker any more, but I can still do it with a lot of power thanks to years of t'ai chi.
          Something t'ai chi taught me more than any other art was how to focus on the "bubbling spring" - your relationship with the ground.
          This is reiterating what a lot of people said already - standing on one leg, or breaking the kick down.
          What I'm adding I guess, is building mental awareness of your planted foot, and keeping your weight in the centre of it.
          Gently pushing down your mass/energy into the floor through that foot as you execute your kick with the raised leg, will yield a 100% boost in power.
          This is partly due to balance, which allows all of the muscles to work with each other and not in a confusion of different forces which happens whe nyou are off balance.
          But it is also, I think, due to managing your intention.
          As you're an aikido veteran, you should know what I mean I hope
          In basic terms, aim lower, focus on balancing your pivot leg, keep some intention in that foot.
          A lot of beginners focus on the striking foot and lose balance.

Comment

• Ljgale
            Ljgale commented
            Editing a comment
            Robg, so focus on both legs to connect your whole body. I can certainly pull from this idea with aikido experience, thank you

• robg
            robg commented
            Editing a comment

Robg ohh interesting. I also learned the fire hose image for unbendable arm in aikido (small world!)! However for this exercise, had not been given the idea of starting it from your foot (we do use other exercises to connect whole body but really like that tweak). Once I've got a bit more of a handle on the positions and footwork I'll certainly try using this in the kicks (carefully). Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X