Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is learning both internal and external forms from the start beneficial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is learning both internal and external forms from the start beneficial?

Hi all,

I was wondering around people's experiences on whether they feel if learning both internal and external aspects of martial arts from the start has or would have aided or hindered they're training and why? This is in comparison to either just focusing on external arts for their full training or obtaining a certain skill level in external before starting internal training.

It’s a good question, most areas shoot for one or the other. How did this work for you?

Comment

I think it has been very good in a lot of ways but perhaps if the balance is not correct could also course issues.

Positives:

From quite early on it's allowed me to train with people much physically stronger to a decent level which is great for general confidence. At a higher level it can lead to some really powerful and effective practice beyond what you can achieve with physical strength alone.

It promotes you to be a well rounded individual thinking both about mental state and physical ability. It also has something for everyone in areas they enjoy whilst working on areas they aren't so comfortable, i feel most people tend to mainly work in an academic or physical way instead of balancing both.

Potential drawbacks :

Hard to get the balance right. If you or your instructor focus too much on the internal side then still try to practice the external side as strongly without conditioning the body enough it could cause issues / injuries.

It can lead to a vast syllabus with a lot of work to keep on top of. This often means it takes a longer time to grade than external only arts and be overwhelming for beginners.

Comment

people find martial arts for many reasons - health, confidence, social life, overcoming fear of attack, security job, fitness... for most I imagine external is going to be understandable, and easy to develop fitness, health, confidence and physical safety - classic self-defence.
        Always worth having that protection before moving to internal energy so you can handle what comes your way.
        I grew up in a dangerous place, so had that outlook. everyone is on their own path.
        But I am alwaysamazed by how many serious career martial artists become t'ai chi masters eventually ;)

Comment

I was once told that, with external arts you’ll learn to fight in a year and how to move in 10 years. With internal arts, you learn how to move in a year and fight in 10.
          I’ve tried to incorporate both and have only found it beneficial, each supporting and improving the other.

Comment

Working...
          X