Martial Arts Cross Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial Arts Cross Training

Do you all practice one martial arts style, or do you cross train a few different ones?

If so what ones have you tried and what are your personal thoughts on cross training?
    ???

I have always crossed trained. Right now, Kung fu is my base but two years into Escrima. A great addition to my training. I have taken an element of Escrima and come up with an add on syllabus for my kung fu training and teaching using short stick and knife.

Comment

Definitely.
      I really like the arts of the Philippines. Well to be honest I love all martial arts in general.
      I feel they all have something to offer.
      It is good that you have an add on for your syllabus.
      I have done some Kali while studying JKd Concepts. The drills are thoroughly enjoyable

Comment

I still regularly practise both wado ryu (karate/ ju jitsu mix) and t'ai chi, and I throw in some Alexander Technique (inhibition of body habits).
        Putting the connectivity and power of t'ai chi into karate blocks and blows, and ju jitsu locks, is a bit confusing internally sometimes, but when it works it's quite extraordinary.
        Using the breath and "clenching" of traditional karate with a t'ai chi move, again can be confusing, but working on it a bit, it can become really powerful.

Comment

• Paul J
          Paul J commented
          Editing a comment
          I've long had an interest in Alexander Technique and the parallels with martial arts. I've never had any formal instruction but hope to at some point.
      Working...
      X