Weapons Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapons Training

Given that it is illegal to carry a weapon for self defence. Is weapons training relevant? How has weapons training benefited your own martial practice?

In what way do you mean Mr Jackson?
    Learning how to use the weapons ourselves or learning defences against weapons?

Comment

In aikido, weapon vs barehand techniques can be very similar to barehand vs barehand. By introducing a weapon it puts you under more mental pressure and your techniques have to be more precise. When you take the weapon away, it feels easier to perform the barehand techniques and more comfortable. This results in an improvement in barehand techniques.

From an internal perspective, it can also aid in training the ability to extend or focus your mind beyond your physical body.

Comment

• Paul J
        Paul J commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the idea of extending your focus. I had a conversation the other day about projecting energy with weapons practice.

Originally posted by Mark Drake View Post
      In what way do you mean Mr Jackson?
      Learning how to use the weapons ourselves or learning defences against weapons?
      I guess the question relates to the use of weapons e.g. Long staff, sword or even rattan sticks. What does practice with these weapons (which you will never carry about you) bring to your art/style?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Paul J View Post

I guess the question relates to the use of weapons e.g. Long staff, sword or even rattan sticks. What does practice with these weapons (which you will never carry about you) bring to your art/style?
          Interesting points there Sir.

I think I noticed it has already been touched here, but the weapons are an extension of the arm. In the Philippines they teach weapons before empty hand. This is because they are easily transferable at the two different ranges.
          Sifu Crudelli's ABC Combat System is similar in that respect with weapons and empty hand being easy to adapt between the two.

So firstly, the weapons teach you working at different distances. Also they build strength while wielding them about. So there is benefit there.
          I agree with you in the fact that you can't legally carry them. But understanding how they are used could help you in a situation where the attacker has a weapon or has picked up something of similar size.

Because as we all know if faced with any confrontation , there are people out there that will hit you with anything they can grab hold of at the time.

So I feel the ranges covered with weapons and defences etc could help you even if you aren't able to carry one yourself.

If that makes sense ?

Comment

• Paul J
            Paul J commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely!

There are a lot of benefits in relation to body conditioning, depending on the weapon. Strengthening hands, wrists and training the core.
          Footwork can also benefit?

Comment

Definitely, you are having to use footwork a little differently for each weapon

Comment

Comment

All points above a really relevant. I also just really enjoy traditional weapons training which I know I will never use on the street, Damo Jian (sword), Gun (staff),
                Qiang

Comment

Asian weapons look awesome. Especially the rope dart you have mentioned.

They say it's better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war ?

Comment

Yes definitely adds a new dimension to training, another discipline to maintain along with everything else!

Comment

I'd liketo learn some t'ai chi sword form.
                      In ba gua we used long poles to develop movement at distance along the length of the pole, holding it in place by the dan tien (navel), and then subtly moving a figure of 8, and watching it amplify at the end of the pole. quite cool use of a weapon to develop power.

Comment

• Neilmccarthy
                        Neilmccarthy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The Tai Chi Sword form is beautiful Rob. If you get a chance to train this, it is a life time of mastery, but well worth the effort.
                    Working...
                    X