Share a Great Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share a Great Book

Name a book you have read and think would be a good read for someone interested in bettering themselves, tell us why it’s with reading.

Book of the Five rings for me is a must read, Kaufman translation is a favourite. I think it really captures the time, the thinking and philosophy of the time but also the very humanness of the man. It’s an honest appraisal of what he believes and how he became so good. Kaufman as translator brings it to life.
    I happened upon Musashi’s grave in Japan by accident years after reading it. Very moving and a little sad. Nothing fancy. A small shrine with chipped stones near a main artery road just behind a Musashi themed noodle joint.

Comment

Not a big book reader if fact never read books. I believe that I may have some sort of learning difficulties that were never picked up at school.
      I do though listen to audio books now and again. I find a lot of the Bible story's and psalms an inspiration at low times.

Comment

• chriscrudelli
        chriscrudelli commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s a great idea, do they have audio bible? And Audio Psalms, be great if Morgan freeman could read it.

There are so many self development books that I love to read, but one book that is easy to follow and I always go back to reading and recommend to anyone, is a book called Flight Plan by Brian Tracy.

It is basically stating that if you want to be successful in any of life's journey's you want to take, you need to take control of your life and have a 'flight plan', The whole point of the flight plan is that you can not stray off course and you stay on your flight plan until you have reached your 'final destination' - whatever that might be.

Great book!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by aussie5682; 29-03-2020, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• chriscrudelli
        chriscrudelli commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for this, so true, a boat without a rudder is at the mercy of the tide. Will order this sounds like a great reminder for planning and directing ones life

Inner voyage of a stranger by Kenjiro Yoshigasaki. As a student of his, I'm incredibly biased here but feel it's a good read if you really want to test your perceptions on human nature and how we live / can change the way we perceive and act. Pre warning - it is heavy reading but worth the effort.

Comment

• chriscrudelli
        chriscrudelli commented
        Editing a comment
        One for a quiet studious afternoon the ... Sounds really good!

Chronicles of the Tao by Deng Ming Dao.
      A phenomenal story of a boy who becomes a monk, a gangster, golden gloves boxer and kung fu teacher.
      A phenomenal book looking at trying to reconcile traditional Chinese spiritual teachings whilst living in the real modern world.

Comment

• chriscrudelli
        chriscrudelli commented
        Editing a comment
        I need to read this one too by the sounds of it! Tha kyou

Direct Truth by Kapil Gupta, I book I keep returning to. It’s a book containing short conversations between a Master and student. [url="http://ow.ly/wllk30q6UUH"]Amazon.co.uk[/url]

I keep returning to read this book as it opens my eyes to truths that I must keep reminding myself of. ?

Comment

• chriscrudelli
        chriscrudelli commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like one for the home library

Grand master ho sik pak books on tang soo do great read and very educational

Comment

• chriscrudelli
        chriscrudelli commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Master Parker, any recommendation from you is worth its weight in gold! Deep bows

[QUOTE=chriscrudelli;n891]Book of the Five rings for me is a must read, Kaufman translation is a favourite. I think it really captures the time, the thinking and philosophy of the time but also the very humanness of the man. It’s an honest appraisal of what he believes and how he became so good. Kaufman as translator brings it to life.
      I happened upon Musashi’s grave in Japan by accident years after reading it. Very moving and a little sad. Nothing fancy. A small shrine with chipped stones near a main artery road just behind a Musashi themed noodle joint.[/QUOTE]

Comment

• chriscrudelli
        chriscrudelli commented
        Editing a comment
        That is the only code

Bones of the Master, by George Crane.

I adore this wonderful book.

via Amazon.
      In 1959 a young monk named Tsung Tsai (Ancestor Wisdom) escapes the Red Army troops that destroy his monastery, and flees alone three thousand miles across a China swept by chaos and famine. Knowing his fellow monks are dead, himself starving and hunted, he is sustained by his mission: to carry on the teachings of his Buddhist meditation master, who was too old to leave with his disciple.

Nearly forty years later Tsung Tsai -- now an old master himself -- persuades his American neighbor, maverick poet George Crane, to travel with him back to his birthplace at the edge of the Gobi Desert.

They are unlikely companions. Crane seeks freedom, adventure, sensation. Tsung Tsai is determined to find his master's grave and plant the seeds of a spiritual renewal in China. As their search culminates in a torturous climb to a remote mountain cave, it becomes clear that this seemingly quixotic quest may cost both men's lives.

Comment

• chriscrudelli
        chriscrudelli commented
        Editing a comment
        Bloody hell... sold! I want my copy NOW! Thanks for that amazing introduction Ben it sounds ... movie like! ;)

I keep going back to "the art of learning" - [I]Josh Waitzkin. [/I]Great stories about becoming a chess champion, competing in push hands and rolling in BJJ.
      great quote from it “The fact of the matter is that there will be nothing learned from any challenge in which we don’t try our hardest.”

I'd also recommend everything by [I]Robert Greene. [/I]especially 48 laws of power. His books form a bit of an encyclopaedia on how to win at life. He collects sorties and histories from the most successful people to ever have lived across his anthology.

For inspiration and leadership under adversity "Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage", by Alfred Lansing is hard to beat. what he did was just remarkable. "mans search for meaning" by Viktor Frankl, hopefully speak for itself. But right now as we're all hiding away from covid19 for a couple of months, he survived a gas camp. read it and gain perspective.

ever wondered what it's like to be hunted my a tiger? "The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival" is an amazing book. really helps you think about mans relationship with nature. Similarly "American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon" and "The Peregrine" are fantastic books and well worth a few hours read.

Last edited by Joe90; 29-03-2020, 10:28 PM. Reason: added more

Comment

• chriscrudelli
        chriscrudelli commented
        Editing a comment
        Joe 90! I knew you would have some amazing reads to share for the readers here.
        Good suggestions all very timely. Thankyou

Comment

[B][B]Man's Search For Meaning[/B]: [/B][URL="https://wordery.com/viktor-e-frankl-author"]Viktor E. Frankl[/URL]

This book has to be on any reading list of anyone who is trying to better them selves in body and mind. For Martial and non martial artist alike. Viktor Frankl demonstrates the importance of the human spirit, hope and the power of the mind and when these are alined, how the human body can withstand anything.

Comment

• chriscrudelli
          chriscrudelli commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the great share Steve.

Hi Sifu,
        I Recommend The Chimp Paradox by Prof Steve peters,
        The mind management program for confidence,success & Happiness. I found this book a great read on exactly how the brain takes all the information we receive and deals with it. The book also takes you through how your mind works how to manage your emotions and other people you meet. It will also help you function better not only on a daily basis but in relationships etc.
        its fascinating how you will recognise things you have felt and thought explained in this book...!!
        I believe this book will help anyone who wants to improve themselves and become the person they would like to be.
        Give it a Go All..!!

Stay Healthy
        Rich??

Comment

• chriscrudelli
          chriscrudelli commented
          Editing a comment
          Great example of a helpful sounding book. This hive mentality sharing quality info is the best!

• Ljgale
          Ljgale commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey, that was the other one i was thinking of posting about, i got the audio version. Was recommended to me by a PT and really worth the read /listen.

If I had to pick one book that had stayed with me over the years I would choose The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran. It takes the form of a series of comtemplative essays on aspects of human life such as love, work, raising children, marriage and friendship. It's not a 'how to' type of book and it won't tell you how to smash it in the board room or inspire you to train harder to become a champion, but just maybe, the simple beauty of the words will inspire you to reflect on what it means to be human and what sort of human you want to be. (ignore the pictures though, they're terrible :-) )

Comment

Working...
        X