Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strength

Hi all.
    Just wondered what you guys would consider your essential exercises to strengthen your body? And how often you do them?

To answer this we need to define strength. In itself physical strength is not essential for martial arts (but may be desirable). I like the term functional strength in this respect.
    Personally I would consider strength to be resilience of the body ie one that can withstand the rigour of training and any impact that may be experienced in conflict. This way a 'strong' body will be less prone to injury.

Traditionally martial arts training will include static and dynamic drills, forms (Kata) and other practices that will produce functional strength without cross-training, assuming this is done consistently.
    Long and deep stances are impractical for fighting but are an essential part of traditional martial arts to develop strong legs and associated ligaments and tendons. Blast through a 100 front kicks or sit in horse stance and do a 100 vigorous punches and your body will be strong!

Personally and I guess for a lot of people this may be difficult to maintain, unless you can train at a club 3 times a week or more. I supplement my training with regular running and occasional circuit training (body weight exercises or HIIT) or a light dumbell circuit, which I can do at home without going to a gym. I like intense cardio and this hopefully means I can maintain performance in class without flagging.

?????

Comment

I agree with Paul's comments.

Each of the martial arts can have their own unique movements so often the best way to build strength in that art is to practice it. Normally the instructors will incorporate within the class exercises that you can also do at home in between classes.

?In Compass Kung Fu, I'm starting to build strength through the drill work and horse stance.

Comment

Working...
      X