Cross training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross training

Hi all, excited to be involved in this forum and to tap into the extensive knowledge out there.
    I'm interested in what training you do outside of martial arts, and does it help or hinder your chosen style. A few years ago I started running ultra marathons, despite continuing with a stretching program I found my flexibility suffered greatly, I think mainly due to the excessive repetition of running motion. I also include strength training but notice that as soon as I put on any muscular bulk, my speed takes a hit. I'm now more interested in doing what I enjoy and continuing to develop all round. What are your thoughts?

Yea I think thats really interesting, each sport defines the characteristics required to excel, did you get a lot of injuries doing the Ultra marathons? how did you manage/ prevent/ treat?

Comment

I was doing a lot of tkd at the time, despite losing flexibility I was told by physios and doctors that the combination of long stamina sessions combined with explosive tkd probably kept me injury free. I think I was lucky as well.

Comment

A few years ago I got into mud running. Lots of events these days, but Tough Mudder was excellent. It changed my training (most of which was outside) but lot's of body weight exercises which certianly assisted with my martial arts.

Comment

• Daz
          Daz commented
          Editing a comment
          I love those events, like being a kid again but without being told off by my parents for getting muddy

I used to also own horses and ride regularly.

It was good for helping with leg strength but could also hinder as you use your legs in a completely different way and often need to keep your legs as still as possible. Switching from that to moving dynamically could be challenging.

Comment

Years ago I ran the Gurkha trail which is the longest distance I have ever ran. The training and the actual run caused a some issues with my legs. One of the muscles attached to the shin became deformed. I also believe that long distance running has an impact on the ability to kick and flexibility, especially within the hips.

Comment

Originally posted by Daz View Post
            Hi all, excited to be involved in this forum and to tap into the extensive knowledge out there.
            I'm interested in what training you do outside of martial arts, and does it help or hinder your chosen style. A few years ago I started running ultra marathons, despite continuing with a stretching program I found my flexibility suffered greatly, I think mainly due to the excessive repetition of running motion. I also include strength training but notice that as soon as I put on any muscular bulk, my speed takes a hit. I'm now more interested in doing what I enjoy and continuing to develop all round. What are your thoughts?
            I found the same with cycling where it tightens muscles, especially in the legs and hips.

As for losing speed when putting on muscle, did you add plyometrics into your training?

Comment

• Daz
              Daz commented
              Editing a comment
              I did do plyometrics but probably not enough.

I run regularly when the weather is fine. I particularly enjoy getting off road and onto uneven terrain, running in the local woods and footpaths during the summer evenings is awesome. This promotes agility, core strength, tendons and so much more.

I also try to include some circuit training and dumbell exercises.

Comment

• Daz
              Daz commented
              Editing a comment
              The sense of freedom of running trails is unparalleled IMO

Outdoor running is great, beach running too.
            Daz plyometrics twice a week for upper body and twice a week for lower body are usually pretty good

Comment

Working...
            X