Are You Eating Too Much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You Eating Too Much?

Experts agree that fasting may be an important key to longevity. In fact most religious and spiritual communities include fasting as an essential part of their worship. But, how to do it safely? What have you guys done?

I have fasted on 5/2 and this has worked really well for me. Managed weightless well too. Unfortunately, I have found my head getting fuzzy by mid afternoon. This has been a bit if an issue when I have needed to be really focussed in my day job. I now try 16/8 most days during the week and relax at weekends.. Last food by 6 or 7pm and then nothing until about midday. This is much more manageable for me.

Generally, feel really healthy and fit and put this down too, in part, fasting.

Comment

You get fuzzy headed doing the 5/2?

Yes, we also find that adhering to the 16/8 is pretty manageable and effective. There is another more strict fasting regime that involves a 3-5 day water or green tea (no juice or master cleanse) fast once a month. It is pretty extreme. Have you tried this?

Comment

Would be interesting to see the research around this.

I haven't yet do any strict fasting, more just trying to make better food choices.

I have however just signed up to a 4 day course which doesn't involve fasting but will be strict vegan, zero sugar and no alcohol / coffee. I wonder if this will have similar / greater effect?

?????

Comment

• admin1
          admin1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I think that's great that you signed up for this program! Eliminating inflammatory foods will definitely produce health benefits. Fasting can be pretty intense if you are new to it. When do you start your cleanse? I'd love to know how you feel afterwards!

It's in mid October. I am thinking i may need to make some adjustments before it otherwise the impact may be too intense? (it's also going to be combined with a digital detox and meditation / breathing practice).

Comment

• admin1
          admin1 commented
          Editing a comment

Thank you, i shall do some adjustments before hand and keep you updated!

Comment

Hey peeps,
          i have done a cleanse twice now, it was cold turkey style for 21 days, the first time feeling wise to the body, I had very much withdrawal style symptoms, however the purpose of these being like a once a year cleanse and detox, is great to find out what you are intolerant too, and highly recommended. But I do think the next time I will endeavour to do a little more gradually but for longer. Fasting wise I have not officially followed a routine but experimented and the 16/2 is probably the closest I have managed, does any one have what a minimum prescribed time period is beneficial?

Comment

• admin1
            admin1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Way to go on your cleanses! I know that the cravings can be tough! To answer your question, it really depends on what your health goals are.
            16/8-advocates eating only within an 8 hour window and fasting the rest of the time
            5/2-consume 400-600 calories 2 days a week
            Strict water fast-flush only water through 3-5 days per month

At the end of the day, reducing and moderating intake on a daily basis will provide benefits over time. If there are health symptoms present, you may choose to use one of the options above.

I cut out caffeine altogether a few years back. It was shock to have a 10 day migraine during withdrawl, quite a common symptom.
          Now I don't miss it at all. I wake up full of energy and have redbush tea for a refreshing warm drink.
          Recently I have given up cheese and yoghurt and lost 9 lbs in 2 weeks without doing any extra exercise.
          It's amazing how some foods just make you accumulate weight.
          About 15 years ago I broke my back, and in order to relieve spinal pain I took to drinking a pint of water every hour or two (as hydrated discs are more resilient and less painful/ squashed). I have never stopped this practise. It really is a health force-multiplier, and working at a PC for hours each day it means you get up to go to the loo regularly andavoid all kinds of sedentary complications.
          God I sound old hehe.
          Always learning...
          Last edited by robg; 27-02-2020, 12:11 AM.

Comment

I find the 16/8 is a fairly manageable fast. Especially as you can plan it so 8 out of the 16 hours fasting is sleep time.
            I found the first week was pretty hard, but as you get used to it it can be great.
            I used to use it when i was quite into my bodybuilding a few years back.
            I tried carb cycling too back then for weight loss. So you got a carb hit twice a week.
            All very intersting ways to experiment, depending on what you are looking to achieve

Comment

My daughter has struggled with weight loss for many years. She is only 19 now but due to her autistic traits, she struggles with maintaining a diet and understanding how sometimes weight can fluctuate but your body still reduces in size. However she is extremely good with fasting. She does the 16/8 fast and has made it a permanent rule for her eating habits. She is still losing weight using this and finds it easy to follow.

Comment

Ive always thought only eat for what your body has been put through ,example if you work hard train hard eat well and good stuffs,if you dont and work in an office etc and dont train much why would your physical being need so much food ...it doesnt ... listen to your body ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X