Describe what it feels like to be connected to your spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Describe what it feels like to be connected to your spirit

Describe a time when you were most connected to your spirit/ the world even if for day or just a fleeting moment.

My first experience of this I'm aware of was When training up mount Tai. I truly felt that I was doing what I was meant to do, that I was where I was meant to be, that I was 'home', it's hard to describe.
    I was complete, content and hard found my place in everything. It was incredible.

Comment

• chriscrudelli
      chriscrudelli commented
      Editing a comment
      Great share I suspect many reading this may get a lightbulb moment.

My first experience of this was when I was actually meditating for the very first time. I had visions of me and my late dad, when we went fly fishing and chatting about things. Was so vivid that I got so emotional when I woke from the meditation. Emotional, powerful and amazing too!

Comment

• chriscrudelli
      chriscrudelli commented
      Editing a comment
      That is really touching. Thanks for the share.
      Hey did you guys catch anything? either of the times?

• aussie5682
      aussie5682 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well the funny thing is, I never went fly fishing with him when he was alive. But I really felt like I wanted to when I was with him this time, to spend more time with him. Sadly I did not catch any fish, but the time spent time with him made up for the lack of fish

In some ways this question will require more brutal honesty than the first 2 Sifu.

I could not tell you! The first time i have encounterd the term emotional content or fully using your emotions / spirit within your martial arts is in your dojo a few months ago therefore am very ignorant to this practice.

My understanding of how we explore both Aikido and Ki technique is done on a pragmatic and mainly scientific level. there is some zen training however it is more focused on being aware of the reality of your body, keeping in the present moment and perceiving / reacting on your environment rather than your instinct / emotions. There may be an underlying connection to this and what you teach, i am yet to understand this.

Couple this with aspects of my life which I feel require me to level my emotions more than use them have steered myself away from this practice, it will be interesting training in this side with you.

I have however felt connection to a partner during technique to the point of not remembering or knowing how they have led my mind or body during a technique which is incredible. 1 second you are attacking them, next you are on the floor with no idea how you got there.
    Last edited by Ljgale; 28-03-2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• chriscrudelli
      chriscrudelli commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Linda, yes you are correct. Generally the Chinese systems tend to be much looser and more informal in their approach to Chi and Spirituality

Comment

Comment

Reading the other comments has made me think of number of experiences, some regular and some unique in my life which have been very different. It's right that there's many ways to interpret the question. At times in my life when I have not been in accord with myself spiritually I've been in conflict with myself and full of doubt. Meditation in whatever form shuts out the unnecessary noise to be open to intuition and helps self awareness. I think it's worth pointing out that meditation could be a walk in the country side, which everyone knows brings us closer to ourselves or even cleaning the house. One of the most dramatic experiences training I've had was once practicing free movement after meditation, my body just knew how to move as if pre reheresed but by someone else and I was just there as an observer. This experience didn't last long and my fear brought it to end. But this felt purely spiritual. Not been able to reach that state in movement for anything more than a moment or two since.

Comment

• chriscrudelli
      chriscrudelli commented
      Editing a comment
      If you know the road there, visit it on your own some times.

This is a tough one!
    I have mostly experienced this outside of my martial arts experience. Walking on a remote hill top or through ancient woodland brings an inner calm and also great clarity to my thinking. This leads to a joyous enlightenment!
    I have had similar connections whilst playing music, but I am not a natural musician in the way of my friends who are entirely free within their practice and I think this is perhaps why I don't get the connection in martial training. My mind isn't centered, I dwell on the past or am ahead of myself and never in the moment.
    The forms that I practice have spiritual and emotional elements and I have yet to explore these fully as the martial and technical side of the movements are perhaps easier to practice and understand.
    Writing this highlights how repressed I am! . I need to learn to accept external events and internal doubts to allow my spirit to come to the surface. (Thank you for asking!)

Comment

Comment

• chriscrudelli
      chriscrudelli commented
      Editing a comment
      Duende! Duende!

Comment

Difficult question for me to answer. The answer for me maybe never. However i have had instances playing drums in live situations where i have shut my brain off and let my body do what it wants. Its a strange feeling and whenever i have done it i have always played without any mistakes being made or any hiccups. Its like something has taken over and is controlling my limbs without me even being present. Its a wonderful feeling but it doesnt happen too often. This could be the closest answer i can give.

Comment

• chriscrudelli
      chriscrudelli commented
      Editing a comment
      Practice martial arts enough and this happens too

Comment

Comment

A bunch of different life moments flashing through my mind here:

1. Hanging off the funnel rail on HMS Sandpiper by my elbow while the ship slides sideways down a 120ft black wave, in a Force 11 in the Channel, then my ears popping as we climb the next wall, and I can see only black mountains for miles in every direction, the sky is bright yellow, and the wind has that dual tone howl you get when you hum and whistle at the same time, only it is deafening. I remember hanging there for dear life, for several hours, unable to let go to get inside the bridge, covered in vomit and salt and grinning into the mouth of the tiger. I came away exhausted but fully connected to the supreme power and authority of the earth. I realised how completely nothing I was. A great lesson for a 19 year old.

2. Tai chi walking alone in a patch of forest on a week long t'ai chi retreat with buddhist monks. Lost in the pleasure of walking without weight or intention, I came up behind a fox. As I got closer I realised the fox was stalking a rabbit. Neither noticed me until I was in touching distance of the fox. I believe I had gotten so close because I was practising being empty (and probably downwind).

3. Walking home in Brighton at midnight on a Sunday many years ago. I was just getting really proficient at t'ai chi, and finding my perceptions were changing a lot. A voice in my head says "don't go up North Street" and I challenge it, saying to myself don't give in to stupid fears. The voice continued to nag me. I laughed it off and strode up North Street. I got to the top and said to myself "see! you idiot!" and just then 5 lads walked past me and the 6th one grabbed me by the throat and tried to punch me. I broke his hold, slapped him in the face with my foot and started to jog away. I looked behind me and he was running after me. I side-kicked him to thefloor, saw he was out, and put him in recovery position. As I looked up his 5 mates were there looking pissed. I stood up, told the mthey needed to look after him and walked away. To this day I can't understand how I knew so strongly that would happen. Coincidence? I've listened to my inner voice a lot more since.

4. I love the sea and the mountains (and Dartmoor) for sharing energy and immersing in our mother. Bodyboarding in the rain is fantastic exercise, where you can lose all sense of time and place (but keeping an eye on the wind and tide and curents!). You can do all kinds of stuff to attune to the natural magic found out in the wild. Any meaningful ritual, anything that connects you truthfully to now.

Comment

So many moments come to mind. Often while song writing, while jamming by myself or with others, performing. Martial Arts training gets me there pretty effortlessly. Not all Martial Arts though. For instance, Takewondo (Taegeuk) forms could never do it. Shaolin (Songshan) on the other hand, takes me into the present and connects me so quickly. Working with weapons tends to due it as well. Spending time with my Wife and Kids connects me everyday

Comment

Working...
        X