Martial arts for everyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial arts for everyone?

I currently assist with teaching kickboxing classes and am loving the experience. My open question to experienced instructors is about teaching children with special educational needs such as ASD/ Aspergers and ADHD.

Does anyone else find many children, who live with these conditions, become interested or continue to succeed in any martial arts classes? Please share your experience and any helpful tips you may have. TIA

Hi Jackie, my daughter is autistic, so in preparation for her starting training with me I did some research into ASD / autism and martial arts, and the positive effects of Martial arts is quite staggering!
    There's a guy in the States known as Dr Greg moody who has done quite a bit of research (as he owns a martial arts school), and is always doing free wevinars on the subject, there's a little bit of a sales pitch with it, but other than that, they've been really informative!!

Comment

Comment

I will do some research on him. Cheers

Comment

I find it extremely rewarding when the students thrive especially if they have a condition that is often wrongly seen as a barrier. I know there must be a lot of instructors who have the patience and understanding to teach both adults and children with special needs, I am interested in how they have achieved this. I would love to see students in our classes make it all the way through the syllabus and want to make this happen.

Comment

Hi Jackie,

Within our dojo, i have seen my instructor teach breathing techniques to a child suffering from an anxiety disorder resulting in panic attacks which clearly won't cure but seemed to help at lot. They stayed with us for many years.

He's also supported another with mental health challenges from a child who is now a 3rd dan and has helped teach a kids class.

In more general terms, i believe that the connection between martial arts and mental well being is being researched a lot.

I have also spoken to someone who is releasing "skillz" into the uk, a teaching aid to combine teaching kids life skills with martial arts. One thing that is covered is how ypu can best support children on the autistic spectrum.

??????

Comment

Comment

• Ljgale
                Ljgale commented
                Editing a comment
                I totally agree with you and it is amazing that you went well above what would normally be done to help this boy.

In my workplace within the last year i have become a trainer and 1-2-1 coach.

For the first time i came across a delegate who needed additional support. It's a technical and mathematical role, whilst training him he told me he is number dyslexic.

What i did (as was told by more experienced people afterwards is a good approach) was asked him to tell me specifically how he feels its currently impacting him and what he feels he needs to be able to do the role. I then used this information to coach him differently.

Has anyone communicated with the deaf person who doesn't feel they could teach around why he feels this way and what he thinks he needs to enable him to teach?

Comment

• chriscrudelli
                chriscrudelli commented
                Editing a comment
                Martial arts are my medicine

I'm so glad that you have brought this topic up for discussion! Martial arts needs an advocate for special needs students and it's a topic that does not get regular attention!

Comment

One of my sons (he's 10) attended a karate class organised by his school as part of an after school club. He has varying degrees of learning difficulties, but despite this he stuck at the classes for a considerable amount of time and managed to successfully work his way through a small number of belt gradings.

Unfortunately though he has since decided to give it up, because in his words he was finding it boring as they were just doing the same things week in week out. We tried explaining to him that it will seem a bit repetitive at times as that's how people learn the techniques to advance, but unfortunately he still decided to give it up.

I do wonder if the Sensei could have maybe done something a little different as it turns out a number of the other kids in the class decided to give it up as well for the same reasons of finding it boring

Comment

Comment

Yes, unfortunately, not all martial arts teachers are made equally.

Comment

No they aren't unfortunately, disguising repetition so that it doesn't get boring can help with this.
                      Jackie I have some friends in the states who have long term students with disabilities and special needs etc. They may be able to advise you on this subject

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                        One of my sons (he's 10) attended a karate class organised by his school as part of an after school club. He has varying degrees of learning difficulties, but despite this he stuck at the classes for a considerable amount of time and managed to successfully work his way through a small number of belt gradings.

Unfortunately though he has since decided to give it up, because in his words he was finding it boring as they were just doing the same things week in week out. We tried explaining to him that it will seem a bit repetitive at times as that's how people learn the techniques to advance, but unfortunately he still decided to give it up.

I do wonder if the Sensei could have maybe done something a little different as it turns out a number of the other kids in the class decided to give it up as well for the same reasons of finding it boring
                        There are many signs to look out for when a student is becoming bored with repetition or even frustration if they are struggling with a certain technique. It helps if the instructors get to know their students, what makes them tick and what makes them want to give up on themselves. The instructor should have perhaps become aware that the students were becoming bored and introduced a new teaching method. Not all students are the same and some need more attention than others to thrive or believe in themselves.

Mark Drake is right when he states we are not just instructors!

Comment

Working...
                        X