Top book recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top book recommendations

What is your favourite, most read or recommended martial art book?

Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams.

This is Just the best timeless martial arts book on the market I have read. I have had this book for years and have given it to many of my top students as a gift and certainly recommended it numerous times.

He writes "A dojo [practice hall] is a miniature cosmos where we make contact with ourselves - our fears, anxieties, reactions, and habits. It is an arena of confined conflict where we confront an opponent who is not an opponent but rather a partner engaged in helping us understand ourselves more fully."

Comment

Comment

Comment

has peaked my interest and will definitely be looking into that, my favourite is the warrior within-Jhon little, I have read this too many times to count, is based upon Bruce less philosophies and how they came about, his experiences i personally found it very interesting and has helped me understand so much of the art I am currently practicing and expand my understanding of many of the lessons given during these classes, I still read it now ?? One of my favourite things is how bruce lee fundamentally took knowledge from the west as well as his heritage of the east, take everything and keep what works for you.

Comment

• Neilmccarthy
            Neilmccarthy commented
            Editing a comment
            Its a great read Steve and very easy to digest - enjoy.

Has anyone read Angry White Pyjamas? Another great read!

Comment

I've just read Meditations on Violence, A Comparison of Martial Arts Training and Real World Violence by Rory Miller. It's a good read if you're interested in combatives and translating what happens in the dojo to what happens in the outside world.
            The guy has lots of experience in law enforcement, and as a prison guard, bouncer etc as well as being a martialist.
            There's a good insight into the types of violence and the mindset of the perpetrator, how best to handle each situation. There's also good advice on personal security and dealing with the aftermath of a violent encounter.

Comment

• Neilmccarthy
              Neilmccarthy commented
              Editing a comment
              I have this book too. A very good recommendation Paul.
          Working...
          X