Martial arts era's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial arts era's

Hi all im new martial arts im studying kung fu. I read in many places about traditional martial arts decreasing in popularity currently. It seems each era or generation of martial arts has a "fashionable" (for want of a better term) style. For example BJJ and MMA are huge right now.

My question is why do you think certain styles gain so much popularity over the traditional styles?

Good question.

Coming from a more traditional style (though no where near as old as kung fu), i think it can be the perception of the art.

In a world where the culture is everyone can get things quickly, being told that it will take you 10 years to start to understand the art and more than a lifetime to master (as i was told) can be off-putting before people understand the value it can bring to their lives.

Also these arts still need to modernise in how they initially reach out and communicate with people (like having this forum).

Comment

I believe it's not that the traditional arts are being lost in the pure form but even bruce lee believed that you could not just train in one style alone to be an effective fighter. You need to adapt or even improve the traditional to fit modern life. Even mma is being classed as a style nowadays but the title says it all mixed martial arts. One stand alone style cannot conform to all situations of self defence.

Comment

Traditional arts are suffering in the modern world, even in China, masters of the traditional styles cannot find disciples to pass on their knowledge.
        In the west, it does seem that martial arts is now perceived as an activity for children and in this context traditional arts can be successful.
        MMA however seems to win hands down for the youth of the day at least for the time being. I can also see this being a short lived phase, I now see most young men spending their time at the gym!
        As a practitioner of traditional styles, the attraction is longevity and the potential to carry on almost indefinitely. I train alongside people in their 60s, 70s and 80s who have sustained this for decades (I'm a youngster at 52). MMA and BJJ won't give you that!

Comment

Interesting points from all of you. I do wonder if its a case of what a lot of people see on the internet/tv etc. If you search for Kung Fu for example many people maybe put off by the shaolin image maybe they cannot relate to it. But seeing a guy in ring they can relate to easier perhaps? I can say from my own experience the physical techniques ars totally different in Kung Fu to what i expected. It seems so much more direct in its fighting style.

Comment

Originally posted by Newguy1 View Post
            Interesting points from all of you. I do wonder if its a case of what a lot of people see on the internet/tv etc. If you search for Kung Fu for example many people maybe put off by the shaolin image maybe they cannot relate to it. But seeing a guy in ring they can relate to easier perhaps? I can say from my own experience the physical techniques ars totally different in Kung Fu to what i expected. It seems so much more direct in its fighting style.
            I agree that tv and social media has a big effect on the younger generation but also role models. MMA, UFC fighters are in the limelight atm and children/ teenagers are very focused on their success and want to follow their lead.

Comment

Working...
            X